15 July 2010

"no man is an island, but this woman is"

One of my favorite television shows of all time is "Gilmore Girls."  I actually own all 7 seasons on dvd (the only tv show that I actually own), and decided a while ago to watch them all through in order.  When I moved to Virginia almost three years ago, I started from episode one.  I have at last made it to the final season, and I think I'm on track to finish it before B gets back and we move.

I love the witty, intelligent, fast-paced humor of the show, and I think every fan has a love/hate relationship with the character of over-achiever Paris Geller.  But whichever side of the fence you're currently standing on, you gotta admit that she has some GREAT lines.  Something about the combination of sarcasm, condescension, and impeccable timing really grows on you after a while.  Everything out of her mouth is said with such severity that it can only be comical yet always possesses a large chunk of truth lurking behind it.  The actress who played her (Liza Weil) actually auditioned for the part of Rory, but she didn't get it.  Instead, they wrote the part of Paris for her, which I must admit is a pretty awesome form of flattery.

Here are a few of my favorite Paris Geller quotes (in addition to the title of this post):

"You don't fall in love with people that make you want to crap your pants."

"Well, how nice it must be to be you. Maybe someday I'll stumble into a Disney movie and suddenly be transported into your body, and after living there for a while I'll finally realize the beauty in myself. "

"Hey, you know, not everybody can be smart. As my mother always says, 'somebody has to answer the phones.'"

"If you need love, get a hooker. If you're having a bad day, find a ledge or a way to deal."

"I can't even read my own handwriting. What does this say? Whoever wrote this should be dressed in a clown suit stuffing bodies under their porch!"

"I can scare the stupid out of you, but the lazy runs deep."

1 comment:

  1. Haha! i almost forgot about this show! I think my favorite line would be the one about crapping your pants, lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete