07 July 2010

bestest brownies ever

Before I got married, I had this great roommate here in Virginia Beach. One of the best gifts she ever gave me (besides affordable rent and a stable living situation) was her recipe for the most amazing brownies I have ever had. And that is what I am sharing with you today, Pioneer Woman-style with pictures and all!

Ingredients:
  • 4 squares unsweetened baking chocolate
  • 1 cup butter or margarine (2 sticks)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup flour
  • 12oz (regular-sized bag) chocolate chips
  • 2 cups mini marshmallows (best if fresh, so you don't have to pull them apart -- learned from experience on that one)



Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°
Melt chocolate squares and butter over medium heat on stove.


Eventually, it'll start to look like this:


Once it is all melted (including the butter, unlike in that picture above), remove from heat.
Add sugar and then each egg.  Stir after each egg.  (Sorry, I don't have a picture of that step because I was too busy fishing an egg shell out of the batter.  Maybe I'll just stick to Egg Beaters from now on.)

Add vanilla and flour:


Fold in the chocolate chips, then the marshmallows.  (The marshmallows will mostly melt in the oven, so you won't be eating chunks of them, I promise!)  If it looks like a dirty diaper, you're doing it right:


Drop that beautiful mixture into a greased 9x13 pan and bake it at 350° for 30-35 minutes.


Don't forget the most important step--I call this 'Clean Up Part One':


Test with a cake tester/toothpick.  Yes, your brownies will look like they have some type of skin disease when they're done and ready.


Mine came out slightly undercooked, so they didn't cut as easily.  They were still delightfully delicious, and the brownie crumbs make a good ice cream topping so I'm not complaining!



 Enjoy!  And let me know how your attempts come out!

4 comments:

  1. Man oh man... Hubs LOVES dessert! I'm definitely trying this for him for when he comes back! He's the cleaner upper with baking, but I guess I'll give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound yummy! I'll give them a try as soon as I get some mini marshmallows:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much chocolate is that in grams/ounces? How do the brownies come out without the Marshmallows?

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Anonymous: 1 square of baking chocolate is equal to 1oz, so that's 4oz.

    As for the marshmallow issue, I'm not really sure. They're in there, but they don't have that chewy marshmallow texture any more and just add to the overall sweetness of the brownie. Try it out and see for yourself!

    ReplyDelete