15 March 2011

couch-to-5k

Running a 5k is on my 101 list, but so is using the Couch-to-5k program to get there. I'm happy to report that I'm already into my third week of the program, and it's going pretty well so far.  I'm not really a couch-dweller type, so you might be asking why a frequent gym-goer is trying this system.

Here are my reasons:
  • The last time I tried to run a 5k race with no preparation I came really close to either fainting or throwing up.  I don't like feeling like poop during and after something that's supposed to be fun.  Needless to say, I need some type of training.
  • I don't actually like running and figured that a combo of run/walk might help me have a better attitude toward it (this idea is actually working, believe it or not).
  • My knee.  Like many active girls, I screwed up my knee and had to get physical therapy.  This happened in high school when I played soccer (on the JV team; I'm really no good at soccer), but it still affects me only when running.  I can do step aerobics, Zumba, kickboxing, elliptical, etc. etc. etc. without issue.  But try to run forward?  That's when I have to enlist the help of this bad boy:
    Yes I've had mine since high school, and no, you don't wanna know the last time it was cleaned.
  • My final reason: I seriously just wanna see if this Couch-to-5k business actually works. I'd love to inspire someone who doesn't ever think they can run a 5k into doing it. I'd especially love to get my mom into it, but I'm not holding my breath about that one.
Unluckily, the biggest 5k/party in town happened this past weekend (and I decided to sleep in).  I'm not sure if I wanted to do something with 10,000 other people anyway.  Lucky for us my 9-week program will end the weekend of Apr. 30.  At first I was hesitant about this because it's also my concert weekend with my Chorale, but I've decided to do it (and drag B with me...heh heh).  On that Saturday morning, we'll be rising bright and early to participate in the Fiesta 10k and 5k Run/Walk here in Pensacola!  And I'll be doing the 5k Run, even though I am very tempted to do the walk instead.  Now I just need to tell my dear husband about my our grand plans since the actual 101 goal is to "run a 5k with B" . . .

3 comments:

  1. Good luck!!! Although I love running, I've been a treadmill girl for years now! Hubs is ALWAYS trying to get me to run with him outside every now and then, and even to enter into some races... Maybe after the baby comes we'll do some in Monterey...with a jogging stroller...as a family. Hmmmm..... Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The McGuire's run was an absolute blast this year! I highly recommend doing it next year!! I did it without any training this year and it was hard! I will defintley be hitting the gym a little harder now and am considering doing more 5ks now! Good luck to you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell you from experience that this program DEFINITELY works! I was blogging about it when I was doing it at the end of last year. I was able to inspire my older sister to quit smoking (after over 20 years) and do the program herself. It's awesome! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete