20 December 2010

what i've been reading lately

I love reading about what other people read to get suggestions.  So here's an update on my recent reads:

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson & the Olympians Book One) by Rick Riordan
This first one was recommended to me by a friend who shares my love for the Harry Potter books.  She said I'd like this, and she was right.  It's basically a Harry Potter-type of story using the Greek gods.  A 12 year-old kid finds out that he's a demi-god (half-blood, if you will), and all these monsters are out to kill him.  He's sent on a quest (cross-country road/train trip, really) with two buddies to help prevent a war from breaking out.  I felt it was a lot more action-packed than The Sorcerer's Stone, which at times I didn't like.  (There was no 'year at school, everything's hunky-dory' element like in the first HP book.)  There were two things I absolutely loved about this book though:  it was set in present-day America (I had been to a lot of the places they visited on the trip!), and it put a face on all those Greek myths I never learned quite well in school.  Will I read the next book in the series (The Sea of Monsters)?  Probably, but I didn't go running out to start it any time soon.  Oh, it also was made into a movie this year . . . which I'll probably never see.



The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
My non-fiction choice for this month.  I FINALLY got around to reading this, and I am so glad.  I had heard of the premise of this book about five years ago.  Basically, it's that each person has a love language that they speak: either words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service, or physical touch.  You and your partner may be speaking different languages, and that's why you may not feel loved even though he's trying to express it to you.  The author gives lots of tips for each type and a little test at the back to figure out which one you are.  Another thing he addresses in the book is the "in love" experience (you know that feeling you had when you think you'll never fight and this person can do no wrong?), and how that high is temporary.  He says in the book that it's about 2 years max, but I think in military couples, due to the constant in-and-out of living together and then not seeing each other for months, this can be dragged out even longer.  It's not a terrible thing, but I'm so glad the author put words to that idea that it does fade and then you actually have to WORK at showing your spouse how much you love them.  I would recommend this book to any couple (especially engaged ones that may still be in that high), and I'm even pleading B to read it (he says he will).


Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
I've read all the Shopaholic books, and before I started this one, I was sorta hoping that the author would finish the series with this sixth one.  The last chapter made it pretty clear there will be more, but I'm completely okay with that now!  I think one thing that many people who've never read the series don't realize is that there are actual plots in these books that have nothing to do with shopping.  Really only the first one was focused on that.  In this installment, main character Becky is trying to plan a huge surprise party for her husband.  And of course there are side-plots, like their slightly-spoiled toddler, Minnie (born at the end of the last book) getting a visit from SuperNanny as well as Becky's ideas on how to help her personal shopping clients during a crappy economy.  It really was a charming read, even if the main character annoys me sometimes when she gets caught in her own lies (which happens in every book, so it's just comic now).  I will definitely be reading the next adventure, and if you read this book you'll know exactly where it's headed next.


Have you read any of these?  Feel free to leave reading suggestions for me in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read the 5 Love Languages but I've had training in it. It's on my to-read list. I think we might read it with two other couples so I've been waiting to see on that. Thanks for The Lightening Thief recommendation...I'll have to check that one out!

    ReplyDelete