18 February 2013

Some Thoughts on My 101 in 1001 List

Way, way, wayyy back in the year 2010, I made a list. A list of stuff I wanted to do in 1001 days. Well, the final day is approaching in less than 2 months, and I am nowhere near done with this list.

And I'm mostly okay with that.

Yes, it's a sort-of arbitrary length of time. A lot of these things are on my bigger bucket list that spans my whole life. And I must admit that I was in a completely different life situation when I made the list. I was still a giddy newlywed, my husband was in the middle of a 6-month military deployment, I lived in Virginia, I had just started blogging, and I spent a lot of time reading at the beach.

I got to cross off the biggest life-changing event from this list (#11: Have a baby), and in doing so, I have greatly impeded most chances to finish this entire list by the deadline.

A few things I'm 99% sure I won't be finishing:
  • performing on stage in a play or musical (I did audition for one back in Pensacola, though!)
  • joining a sports league (although B and I lift weights together now, so does that count?)
  • learning to do a cool trick on my boogie board (oops, moved away from the beach)
  • dressing like a cow and getting Chick-Fil-A on Cow Appreciation Day (it's not until July, and I was too exhausted to deal with it last year)
HOWEVER, many of the goals on this list are still attainable! Even after having a baby! On that note, I seriously want to smack anyone who says you won't have time for anything you love after having a baby--babies grow and become more independent, sitters can be hired, and if you really want to do something, by golly, you can! The first 3 months postpartum you probably won't, but after that? Of course! What you choose to do after baby can actually show you what you really LOVE to do versus things you just did to fill time or please others. (Hey, I even did some baking during my baby's first week of life because I love it so.)

Tonight, I am very proud to say I accomplished something on my list that I had wanted to do for a while:

✔ 53. Do a Navy PRT, meeting at least Good requirements for my age/sex

For those of you non-military folks, the PRT (PFT to some) is the Physical Readiness (Fitness) Test that military members have to take (and pass) twice a year. B has one coming up in April, so he has been working hard to make sure he passes.

My final stats: 57 curl-ups (Good), 34 push-ups (Good), and the 1.5-mile run in 12:52 (Excellent)

The truth is I hadn't even looked at the requirements lately, so I had no idea what I was aiming for. (B sprung this on me today at the last minute.) I just tried my best, and this is what happened! I actually beat B on the running part, lapping him on my final lap (we were on a small indoor track where we had to do 12 laps for 1.5 miles), and hollering at him during that pass-by to give me his watch since I had no idea of my time (unprepared much?).

I am very proud of myself tonight! I think it is time for some celebratory chocolate. And if I get a 60% completion on my 101 list, I will be equally proud. I'll probably celebrate with more chocolate.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit, I've really been slacking on my 101 list too :-P But congrats on your PRT goal! Nick came home from his last one (which he did pretty much 0 prep for) and said, "I ran really slow today. I did the mile-and-a-half in 11 minutes! Yeesh!"

    Some people...

    Anyway, I nominated you for a Liebster Award, so if you'd like to accept and get some easy blogging material, go here: http://animakinsi.blogspot.com/2013/02/liebster-fever.html

    ReplyDelete