28 June 2013

7 Quick Takes


--- 1 ---
Yesterday the only real friend I've made since coming to this town moved away! Cora and her daughter were buds, too. We met through the library story time way back in like November and then found out we lived in the same apartment complex. I'm supposed to be the one that moves, not the other people! I'm feeling very deflated. I also feel like since proximity breeds friendship that I won't really be able to make new good friends until we buy a house.

--- 2 ---
On a brighter note, I had seen a group of ladies meeting up with their babies in strollers outside the Y a few times before going for my run. I finally just opened my big fat mouth to one of them yesterday and asked her about it. Turns out, it's a class at the Y that I don't know how I missed hearing about! I got home and checked the monthly class schedule I keep on fridge and sure enough, "Strollin' on the Trail" Thursdays at 9:15 was staring in my face. I'll be joining them in 2 weeks :-)

--- 3 ---
Speaking of house-hunting, our realtor took us to look at a house yesterday and there was one of those kitschy signs that said "Good moms have dirty dishes, laundry piles, and happy kids."
I found this via an image search; pretty sure the actual one I saw did NOT mention sticky floors
While I totally agree, I found it funny that this is also the same house that had a (permanent) sign at the front door asking you to remove your shoes and had shoe covers in a basket for us home-viewers to put on. (We've looked at a lot of houses now, and this is the first time we've had that happen.) I guess I feel that homes are meant to be LIVED in, with shoes or without! I generally take off my shoes at our place, but mostly because I feel more relaxed, not because I don't want to vacuum or am afraid of my kid eating floor crumbs. Maybe I'm crazy or something, though.

--- 4 ---
Can I just brag on my kid for a bit? For the past 3 months or so, she has been in the picky-eating phase that most toddlers hit (and hers was almost perfectly timed with when she started walking). However, it has been sooo easy to take her out to restaurants! Once we realized she likes hummus (um, I feed it to her every other day!) and most dips, we just order off the appetizer menu for her. (How many kids love spinach artichoke dip?) She has only gotten a kids' meal once--B's aunt got it for her--and she didn't touch it. (I generally bring one of those fruit/veggie pouches in my purse just in case.) But last night we went to a Greek place and she loved the pita, hummus, tzatziki, and even liked the avgolemono (lemon/egg/rice) soup that B got! She also tried the spicy feta and then cried a bit when the spiciness hit her. She was eating so fast I hardly could get a pic.

It also may have helped that the owner of the restaurant looked like my dad. (I'm Lebanese, not Greek, but they're pretty similar. And both names Catherine and Cora have Greek origins, so there's that, too.)

--- 5 ---
I went "Midwestern tubing" for the first time this past week. It was . . . scary. Midwestern tubing = tube being pulled behind a speed boat. Southern tubing (my fave) = floating slowly down a river (usually involves sipping alcoholic beverages).
That's me on the left and B's youngest brother on the right.

--- 6 ---
Hooray for summer reading at the library! We read enough for Cora to get her first prize--an egg shaker!


--- 7 ---
My big girl turned 17 months on Wednesday! And also turned into a 1-take wonder. This was almost too easy to get. (Very different than last month!)

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about trying to establish bonds - while I have friends in the area, trying to really establish deep friendships is tough with how spread out everyone is, how not neighborly our neighborhood is, and how busy work and kids keep us all. That class at the Y sounds awesome, though! Wish we had something like that around here - would cover two things on my wish list...a mommy group and more exercise!

    Appetizers instead of kids' meals - genius! I have no idea why that never crossed my mind! Our Gianna would love that more than the burgers and crappy chicken on the kids menus for sure!

    Also, you had me laughing at the tubing comparison - I completely forgot about midwestern tubing vs. southern tubing! Very accurate depiction! :)

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That kitchen sign and then take ur shoes off thing was pretty funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for easy eating out! :)

    I nominated you for the Liebster Award - check out my blog post :) http://tegansmusings.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete