14 July 2011

when minor events trigger strong musical memories


Do you ever have a minor life event that prompts you to remember a song lyric? And then whenever you are reminded of that event, the lyric keeps coming back until you just have to sing the whole song? Okay, maybe that's just me.

My minor life event: bra shopping.  I kid you not.  A few weeks ago when my parents were in town, my mom and I went to the outlets over in Alabama.  The Maidenform outlet had all of their bras for $9.99.  I've never actually bought a Maidenform bra because they're mostly carried in department stores which refuse to carry my weird size.  But the outlet had them!  I bought two, and they are awesome.

Then, for the next week or so, every time I put one of my new bras on, a lyric from a song I hadn't heard in about 10 years got stuck in my head.  The lyric?  "It's wilting the quilting of my Maidenform."

The song is called "It's Raining on Prom Night," and you're probably more familiar with it if you've seen the stage version of Grease.  In the movie, it's not very prominent.  I think it just plays in the background when they're in the diner.  However, it is on the movie soundtrack, as done by Cindy Bullens.


I had originally wanted to share a pop/punk cover of it by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes that I had on some mix tape in high school, but I listened to it again and realized that they changed some of the words which altered the meaning of the song into something much more disgusting.  Now that I've piqued your interest on that, here's a link to it.  But don't say I didn't warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment